Deepwater Horizon Update – SAR Ends

 maritime safety  Comments Off on Deepwater Horizon Update – SAR Ends
Apr 232010
 

The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for the 11 missing crewmembers from the mobile offshore drilling unit, Deepwater Horizon, at approximately 5 p.m., Friday.

“Our deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the families of these 11 crewmembers,” said Rear Adm. Mary Landry, commander of the Eighth Coast Guard District. “Suspending a search is one of the most difficult decisions a commander has to make.”

The 11 crewmembers had been missing since Tuesday, when an explosion occurred on the Deepwater Horizon at approximately 10 p.m.  The Coast Guard searched continuously for three days with an effort consisting of 28 air and surface sorties, covering approximately 5,375 square miles.

Deepwater Horizon Lost – 11 missing

 explosion, fatality, fire, maritime safety, offshore  Comments Off on Deepwater Horizon Lost – 11 missing
Apr 222010
 

Deepwater Horizon finally collapsed in flames and sank in more than 2000 metres just after 1700 on 22 April. Currently 11 people remain missing. a slick of pollution has become apparent and clean-up efforts are underway. Another drillship, Discoverer Enterprise, has been tasked with drilling a new well which will intercept the one beneath Deepwater Horizon to stop the flow of gas.

See also: Deepwater Horizon – Search Continues

Deepwater Horizon – Search Continues

 Accident, explosion, fire, offshore  Comments Off on Deepwater Horizon – Search Continues
Apr 222010
 

Early reports that 11 people missing from the burning mobile offshore drilling unit, MODU, Deepwater Horizon about 42 miles Southeast of Venice, La.,  have been accounted for appear to be false. A statement from the US says that it is continuing to search for the missing. Reports indicate that there were 126 people on board the MODU at the time of the explosion.

The fire, with flames estimated to have reached more than 60 metres high, continues to burn. Attempts to close the well are being undertaken with two ROVs. Recent reports say the MODU is listing at 15 degrees and increasing and sinking at more than 1 metre an hour and she is shifting to starboard in more than 2000 metres.

It is too early to say with any confidence what caused the explosion and fire. The investigation is a cooperative effort between Mineral Management Service and the US Coast Guard. It is understood, but not confirmed, that  the rig had recently set and cemented a tapered 7″x 9 5/8″ tapered casing and were somewhere in the process of displacing the riser with seawater and subsequently setting a surface plug when the well blew out.

Further updates, with greater accuracy than widely available are available in the forum of gCaptain.

Video:

Continue reading »

Oct 262009
 

image MAC has been provided with a report concerning the death of a Barge Master who fell down a 40 metre lift (US: Elevator) shaft on the Transocean-owned semi-submersible drilling rig Sedco 700 off the coast of Nigeria while inducting a new Ballast Control Operator, BCO.

Among other things, the incident emphasises the need to ensure that potential hazards are noted, reported and mitigated at the earliest possible opportunity and that laid-down procedures should be followed.

Continue reading »