Sage Sagittarius: Murder In The Stars?

 maritime safety news  Comments Off on Sage Sagittarius: Murder In The Stars?
Mar 022016

Murders at sea may be the stuff of seafarers tales but they do happen. When three mysterious deaths occur in just a few weeks aboard a ship under the command of a self-confessed gun-runner and allegedly physically abusive master trying to prevent complaints by his crew reaching the authorities it is inevitable that the possibility of murder is taken seriously.

Like any other random event, accidents can and do happen in clusters that suggest a pattern even when there is no common link between them. Such may be so in the case of the fatalities aboard Sage Sagittarius, a Panama-flagged bulker of 73,430 gross tonnes built in 2001. It will be up to a New South Wales Coroners Court to determine whether the deaths need further investigation by police authorities.

Continue reading »

Cutty Sark Murder Investigation

 fire  Comments Off on Cutty Sark Murder Investigation
Oct 192008

Inquiries into last year’s fire aboard the historic Cutty Sark on the Thames “had to be made to the standard of a murder investigation” says police inspector Dave Garwood, who announced ther findings to journalists. According to the police report the fire aboard the 19th century three-masted tea clipper was set off by an overheated vacuum cleaner.

Fortunately, less than two per cent of the vessel was destroyed in the blaze which took two hours to extinguish. Cutty Sark is the only surviving example of her class of what is regarded as the ultimate development of the sailing ship, their classic speed making them a precursor to the fast modern containership.

It is believed that a vacuum cleaner accidentally left running over a weekend during restoration work, or overheated electrical wiring triggered the fire.

The vessel is administered by the Cutty Sark Trust and the fire added £18m ($36m) to the cost of the project, which is currently £5.4m short of funds needed.

Lessons? Switch off electrical equipment when not in use and check that it is switched off before leaving the area.