Hong Kong’s Marine Department has issued a navigational warning covering the New Year Countdown Pyrotechnics Show. MAC himself warns that New Year fireworks around Manila include firearms of various calibres – 50mm shells have been know to fall out of the sky – so be prepared.
Says Hong Kong’s MarDep Notice No. 177 Of 2009:
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Hong Kong’s New Year Countdown Celebration and pyrotechnic display will be held around midnight on the New Year’s Eve, 31 December 2009. The pyrotechnic will be discharged from the Two International Finance Centre and from 10 buildings on Hong Kong Island.
2. It is anticipated that a large number of spectator vessels will gather in the Central Harbour to join the countdown and view the pyrotechnic display. Two viewing areas will be established on both sides of the Central Fairway during the period of the Countdown Celebration and pyrotechnic display. Spectator vessels shall remain in the viewing areas and shall avoid impeding the safe passage of vessels navigating in the Fairway. Details of the viewing areas are as follows:
Viewing Area 1 – will be established to the west of the Ocean Terminal. This area
is bounded by straight lines joining the following co-ordinates (WGS 84 Datum):
(A) 22∘17.840’N 114∘09.440’E
(B) 22∘17.840’N 114∘09.830’E
(C) 22∘17.560’N 114∘09.830’E
(D) 22∘17.660’N 114∘09.440’E
Viewing Area 2 – will be established to the east of the Central Ferry Piers. This
area is bounded by straight lines joining the following co-ordinates (WGS 84 Datum):
(E) 22∘17.300’N 114∘09.830’E
(F) 22∘17.250’N 114∘10.180’E
(G) 22∘17.140’N 114∘10.180’E
(H) 22∘17.140’N 114∘09.830’E
3. Masters, coxswains and persons-in-charge of vessels navigating in the Central Harbour should proceed with caution, giving practical consideration to the spectator vessels. Compliance with the provisions of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972 is mandatory.
4. Marine Department and Marine Police launches will regulate marine traffic in the Central Harbour. These launches will display either a flashing red or flashing blue light. Masters and coxswains should follow the directions given by officers on these launches.
5. A drawing (Drawing I) showing the positions of viewing areas is attached to this Notice.
Marine Traffic Control Measures at Kowloon Public Pier
6. Masters, coxswains, owners and operators of spectator vessels intending to use the Kowloon Public Pier (KPP) for disembarkation of passengers after the Countdown Celebration and pyrotechnic display should pay special attention to the marine traffic control measures at the Pier.
7. To ensure safe navigation and orderly disembarkation of passengers after the countdown celebration, a sterile area will be established at the water area fronting the KPP to a distance of about 90 meters offshore. The sterile area will be physically marked by Marine Department launches stationing in the vicinity. Vessels intending to disembark passengers at KPP are required to wait at the waiting area prior to berthing and follow the directions given by Marine Department and/or Marine Police officers on the spot. Vessels shall use the KPP No. 1, 2, 3 and 4 landing steps to disembark their passengers and will only be permitted to enter the Sterile Area from the east and depart from the west.
8. A drawing (Drawing II) showing the KPP sterile area and waiting area is attached to this Notice.