During a recent fire aboard an AHTS several serious shortcomings in BA equipment came to light which had the potential to affect the efficiency of firefighting efforts and the safety of crew and vessel. Spend a minute to check the situation on your vessel
You may find the following checklist helpful. Feel free to circulate as appropriate.
- Are all crew aware of the location of BA sets used for firefighting?
- Is there a BA board available?
- Are all airbottles filled and available for immediate use?
- Are the threads on the spare airbottles compatible with the BA sets.
- If there is a refilling compressor aboard, is its plug compatible with the ship’s electrical equipment?
To get a PDF copy of this alert click ‘download PDF’ button under Eco-Safe in the sidebar.